FEMA sets up shop at Nassau Community College

(Page 2 of 2)

Homeowners who receive insurance settlements most likely would not also get FEMA aid, unless a settlement is particularly low. But, Weidner said, an insurance company might take an unusually long time to process a claim, in which case FEMA could step in and provide a short-term grant until the settlement comes through, enabling a homeowner to begin repair work.

In addition, the Small Business Administration is offering low-interest loans to homeowners to help them rebuild.

Andrew Campanelli is a commercial litigation attorney who has handled insurance claims for 20 years, with a practice in Merrick. He encouraged anyone who has suffered losses to contact FEMA for disaster relief. "Long islanders who have been dsiplaced by Sandy should go to FEMA's website and obtain an application for any form of relief they need," he said, "from heating oil for your home, cleanup expenses, home repairs, temporary housing expenses, clothing and household items, vehicle repairs, and even disaster-related dental and medical expenses. The key is to be proactive."

To register with FEMA, stop by its mobile unit at the NCC Student Union, call (800) 621-3362 or go to disasterassistance.gov. You will be assigned a disaster assistance number. Be sure to hold on to that number. It will be used in all communications between you and FEMA.

FEMA’s Disaster Recovery Center will be at Nassau Community College,
1 Education Drive in Garden City, until further notice, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week.

Page 2 / 2