Police, county prepare for L.I. Marathon
(Page 3 of 4)
The New York Islanders are hosting an NHL playoff game at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum at noon on Sunday, four hours after the marathon kicks off. The starting point of the marathon — on Charles Lindbergh Boulevard — is just north of the Coliseum.
County officials said they were prepared for the complication, and added that it should not present any problems. “The race should be clear of all roads surrounding the Coliseum by 9:30 a.m.” said Inspector Kenneth Lack of the Nassau County Police Department. “The New York Islanders were provided road closure schedules a week ago.”
A full list of road closures for Sunday, May 5
Charles Lindbergh Blvd. (Merrick Avenue to James Doolittle Blvd.) Closes: 4:15 a.m. Opens 9:15 a.m.
Charles Lindbergh Blvd. (Except above) Closes 7:15 a.m. Opens 9:15 a.m.
Merrick Avenue (North of Hempstead Turnpike) Closes: 7:30 a.m. Opens 9:45 a.m.
Old Country Road (Post Avenue to School Street) Closes 7:45 a.m. Opens 10 a.m.
School Street (Old Country Road to Railroad Avenue) Closes: 7:45 a.m. Opens 10 a.m.
Salisbury Park Drive (Closed to Southbound Traffic Only) Closes 7:45 a.m. Opens 10:30 a.m.
Railroad Avenue Closes 7:45 a.m. Opens 10:30 a.m.
Post Avenue (Railroad Avenue to Jericho Turnpike) Closes: 8 a.m. Opens 10:30 a.m.
Jericho Turnpike* (Post Avenue to Brush Hollow Road)) Closes: 8 a.m. Opens 11 a.m.
Brush Hollow Road** Closes: 8:15 a.m. Opens 11:30 a.m.
Carman Avenue (Old Country Road to Nottingham Road) Closes 8:15 a.m. Opens 2 p.m.
Wantagh Parkway closes 7 a.m. Opens 3 p.m.
* Westbound side of Jericho Turnpike will remain open.
** Brush Hollow Road, south of Wantagh Parkway, will remain open.
· Northern State Parkway exits to Post Avenue and Wantagh Parkway will be closed.
· All exits and entrances to and from Wantagh Parkway will be closed
· Meadowbrook Parkway exits and entrances to and from Charles Lindbergh Blvd. (Nassau Coliseum, Nassau Community College) and Eisenhower Park exits will be closed from 4:15 a.m. until 10 a.m.
· Eisenhower Park's Park Blvd. will not allow through traffic between 8 and 10 a.m. The Hempstead Turnpike entrance to the park will be open throughout the day, with a turnaround at the golf course until 10:00 a.m.