The American Automobile Association Northeast celebrated the opening of its East Meadow location with a ribbon cutting presented by the East Meadow Chamber of Commerce on Nov. 6.
During the ribbon cutting ceremony Robert Sinclair welcomed guests and spoke about AAA and what they plan on bringing to drivers in East Meadow.
The American Automobile Association was formed with 1,500 members in 1902 at a time when 23,000 cars were in operation in the United States compared with 17 million horses, according to its website.
Nine automobile clubs formed AAA and they consisted of the Automobile Club of America, 1899; Chicago Automobile Club, 1900; Automobile Club of New Jersey, 1900; Long Island Automobile Club, 1900; Rhode Island Automobile Club, 1900; Philadelphia Automobile Club, 1900; Princeton University Automobile Club, 1901; Automobile Club of Utica, 1901; Grand Rapids Automobile Club, 1902.
The first headquarters office was one shared with the Automobile Club of America, on Fifth Avenue in New York City.
One hundred years and more than 51 million members later, AAA's most basic premise remains the same: safe, efficient transportation is a fundamental underpinning of our society.
AAA became 50 million members strong in North America in 2007.