Home
Classifieds
Contests
Subscribe
Work with us
Partly Cloudy,36°
Monday, October 20, 2014
Cedarhurst house fire displaces eight residents
Wind extends blaze to home next doot
Joseph Sperber/Herald
Lawrence-Cedarhurst firefighters responded to a house fire at 310 Clinton Ave. in Cedarhurst on Oct. 29. Despite the fire damaging another home at 306 Clinton Ave., no one was injured.

A Cedarhurst house at 310 Clinton Ave. was seriously damaged by a fire that also caused minor damage to the home about 10-feet away at 306 Clinton Ave. on Oct.29, according to Lawrence-Cedarhurst Fire Chief Joseph Sperber.

“The call came in at 7:08 p.m. Sunday,” Sperber said, “the fire was in the bedroom.”

No one was hurt, but eight people in the two-family house were displaced, he said. The fire was under control in 20 minutes, Sperber said, who added that the stronger than usual winds due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy caused the fire to extend to the nearby house.

The Nassau County Fire Marshal deemed the fire not suspicious and its cause due to an electrical malfunction.

In addition to Lawrence-Cedarhurst, Hewlett, Inwood and Woodmere fire departments also responded to the scene.

Terms of Use | Advertising | Careers | Contact Us | Community Links © 2014 Richner Communications, Inc.