Scott Brinton/Herald Life
Nassau County and Town of Hempstead officials were advising motorists to stay off the roads, as driving conditions were hazardous on Thursday.
Once again, the Town of Hempstead has declared a snow emergency, as yet another major winter storm pummeled the area Thursday morning.
More than 200 pieces of plowing and salting equipment have been on the streets of America’s largest township since early this morning, officials said. As they attempt to make neighborhood streets passable for drivers, Hempstead Town Supervisor Kate Murray said town employees are working hard to battle rapid accumulations.
“Safety is our number-one focus as the Town of Hempstead responds to this major snowstorm,” she said. “Our dedicated town employees are working tirelessly to clear town roadways, and we urge residents to exercise caution if they must venture out on Thursday."
Murray also offered the following tips for residents for the storm: take care of shopping and obtain medications before and after the storm; avoid travel during the storm unless absolutely necessary; check on the elderly and other neighbors in need of assistance; remove cars from roadways to assist crews as they plow; avoid overexertion; and, if possible, remove snow from fire hydrants to assist local fire departments in the event of a fire.
The town has also opened a dozen warming centers across the area in response to local power outages. The following locations will be open as warming centers from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. today:
· Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 North Grand Ave., Baldwin
· Cedarhurst Senior Center, 200 Cedarhurst Ave., Cedarhurst
· Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Road, Elmont
· Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place, Franklin Square
· Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Road, Valley Stream
· Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Road, Levittown
· Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick
· Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Ave., Oceanside
· Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
· Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury
· Uniondale/Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Ave., Uniondale
· Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Road, Wantagh
Inclement weather also prompted officials to call off several programs across the area.
The taxpayer forum scheduled for the Franklin Square Library was canceled, as well as the ANCHOR evening fitness program at Grand Avenue Middle School in Bellmore. In addition, all programs and transportation for the Department of Senior Enrichment were canceled.
All parks and recreation programs were also canceled Thursday. Levy Park and Echo Park were closed.
Sanitation and recycling pickup for the Hempstead Town Department of Sanitation was canceled for Feb. 13. Collection will occur on residents' next regularly scheduled date.