Home
Classifieds
Contests
Subscribe
Work with us
Mostly Cloudy,55°
Monday, April 27, 2015
Editorial
Looking for the third way

Ed Mangano’s and Tom Suozzi’s campaigns for county executive are in full gear, with less than five weeks to go before Election Day. They’re trading jabs and accusations, criticizing each other’s performance in Nassau’s top job and proclaiming their own accomplishments.

This year we have rare circumstances for the election, because both candidates have been county executive, so voters can examine the performance of both men in the position they seek to keep or regain.

Mangano, the current executive, seeks a second four-year term. He extols the fact that the budget he just presented to the County Legislature is his fourth no-property-tax-increase financial plan. He has said that the county is on a “firm, stable path because of the tough and difficult choices we’ve made to cut spending and implement successful public-private partnerships.”

Mangano says he has cut the county’s work force by 20 percent since Suozzi left office in 2010. He says he has saved residents $40 million through his public-private partnerships on county bus service and the county jail’s inmate health care contracts. The new Coliseum development deal, approved by all 10 Republicans and all nine Democrats in the Legislature last week, will be a boon to revenue, and spirits, Mangano says.

Suozzi, who was county executive for two terms, from 2002 to 2009, wants the third term he was denied when he lost to Mangano in the 2009 election.

In a debate he had with his primary election foe, Adam Haber, Suozzi called the Coliseum plan “absurd” because it did not include a broader vision to develop the totality of the Hub area, like Islanders owner Charles Wang’s 2007 Lighthouse proposal, which Suozzi helped to sell, unsuccessfully.

Suozzi’s strongest criticism of Mangano’s administration is on the state of the county’s finances. “The place is falling apart,” the former county exec said on Aug. 3. “The taxes are too high — our young people are moving away. We have to wake up to the reality that what this administration is doing is making things worse.”

Comments

1 comment on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment
RonnieG

Say whatever you want about all the political candidates, the bottom line is people are moving out and what you [politicians] will be left with is the cesspool you've created. Good bye and good luck! You do nothing to curb illegal housing, illegal voters, want to bring in more "low-income" housing, these stupid "HUBs" and other nonsensical projects, when you should be preserving the integrity of Nassau County, its property values, its lovely open spaces and parks. We live here for that very reason. We don't want HUBs in our neighborhoods. We don't want casinos, hotels, stadiums, etc. in our small towns. You all want it because all you see is a revenue stream.....dollar signs. That's all you know. And please don't tell me that those things come back in the form of benefits to the residents, because they never do, and our taxes NEVER go down. Corrupt is the word that comes to mind when I think of Nassau County government, as far back as Gulotta! Now there was one of the original architects of thievery. People are moving away because this is no longer a desirable place to live. The law-abiding, hard-working tax PAYER, is getting stiffed by its own government as it hands out tax dollars to everyone on the dole.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 | Report this
Terms of Use | Advertising | Careers | Contact Us | Community Links © 2015 Richner Communications, Inc.