Cops: Carbon monoxide leak in North Valley Stream sends 5 to the hospital


A carbon monoxide incident sent five people from North Valley Stream to the hospital on March 18, police said.

According to Nassau County police, officers responded to a call at an Elmont Road residence at about 7:35 p.m.

Upon arrival, they found three victims — a 59-year-old male, a 27-year-old female and a 5-year-old male — suffering from lethargy and dizziness.

Those three were transported to an area hospital for evaluation.

Officers discovered two other victims, women in their 20’s, to be unconscious in a basement bedroom. They were removed from the home and immediately transported to an area hospital where they later regained consciousness.

The Elmont Fire Department responded to the scene and detected a high level of carbon monoxide in the home, police said, that appeared to be emanating from an oil burner exhaust pipe.