On June 6, 1949, the council moved to a new clubhouse at the corner of Terrace Place and Buscher Avenue in Valley Stream. Because of increasing membership, it moved to larger quarters, at 825 W. Merrick Road, in June 1965. In 1970, the building was expanded.
In the years after World War II, returning veterans swelled the ranks of the council membership, and it became a gathering place for Catholic men in search of a fraternal brotherhood.
Members of the council have been involved in community charities, local politics, scouting activities, Eagle Scout courts of honor, granting high school scholarships, and sponsoring men in the seminary and women in the convent. The late former mayor Dominick Minerva was a member of the council.
History of the Garden Club
Eleven women met at the Decker Street home of Mary Villager on March 25, 1964, to form the Valley Stream Garden Club. Following the business meeting, Marie DeMarzo showed a collection of leaves commonly used for flower arranging, and Marion Thompson led a discussion on pruning roses and evergreens.
The organization was officially chartered on June 18, 1964. The Garden Club set the third Thursday of the month for its meetings, and dues were initially $3 per year. The Lily of the Valley was adopted as the club flower. Villager was elected the first president of the organization. For its first Christmas, the ladies made heirloom wreaths.
Over the years the club has had many meeting locations, including the American Legion hall, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, the Hendrickson Park administration building and the Firemen’s Field clubhouse.