Violence mars BHS homecoming game


Nassau County Police are reporting that BHS’s annual homecoming game was suspended around 8:30 p.m. Friday when gunshots were heard in a parking lot near the football field. A 20-year-old man was also found stabbed soon after the gunfire died down, but police do not believe the two incidents were directly connected.

Police said that a car window was smashed by the gunfire, but that no one was hit. A 44-year-old man and his young daughter were sitting in the vehicle when the shots hit the car, but they were uninjured.

The stabbing incident occurred after the gunfire ended. The victim in the incident was among a group of four Freeporters who were leaving after the football game was suspended. (Baldwin, leading 33-0 over Hicksville when the gunfire occurred, was declared the winner by default.) Details are hazy, but police indicated the victim was punched in the face and stabbed twice in the back.

Police said the young man’s injuries were not life threatening and he is expected to survive. They also said they were still looking for the perpetrators of Friday night’s violence.

School officials said they plan to open school normally on Monday, but will increase security. A phone message from the Baldwin School District was sent to BHS parents Saturday just before 3 p.m.

“What had started out as a wonderful community event was cut short by criminal behavior that is being investigated by police,” the voicemail said. “The district is cooperating fully with the investigation and taking every precaution to keep students and staff safe. Regular activities are taking place at the high school today but the evening soccer game has been cancelled. While Monday will be a regular school day, there will be heightened security at the high school.”

The message promised a follow up phone call with more details to BHS parents on Sunday night.

“This incident is not a reflection of this community or district,” the message concluded. “We will work together to get through this situation.”