Editors note: Lynbrook historical odds and ends is a column that takes a look back at some interesting facts and events in the village from over the years.
Miniature golf conflict in 1930 solved by a ‘King Solomon’
On July 22, 1930, the Nassau Daily Review reported that a “miniature golf course problem has vexed the village board since the new fad invaded Lynbrook.” It was finally solved by a clever man, Mayor Howard Wilson.”
The residents near Huntington and Shipherd avenues wanted the Tom Thumb golf course to close at 10 p.m., and the owners wanted 11 p.m. Wilson gave the owners what they wanted, an 11 p.m. closing time, but the owners did not realize until it was too late that Wilson had cleverly worded the ordinance to state a closing time of 11 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. This would be 10 p.m. Daylight Savings Time, which gave the residents what they wanted for more than six months, including the summer months, which was when the course was mostly used.
Hats were important in 1930
According to the Nassau Daily Review of Oct. 4, 1930, “a spectacular fire attracted hundreds of spectators to the heart of Lynbrook’s business area.”
At one point, it appeared as if the Five Corners Building would be consumed. The disaster took a humorous turn when customers of the burned-out George’s Hat Cleaning and Shoe Repair began to “fire questions to the proprietor regarding the outcome of their hats.”
RIP to a golf course architect
A famous golf course architect, Peter Lees, a Scotsman, lived in Lynbrook for nine years, from 1914 to 1923. During that time he designed several courses including those at Lido Beach and Garden City.
—Obituary in The New Era, May 16, 1923.
Mattson is the official Lynbrook village historian and a director of the Historical Society of East Rockaway and Lynbrook. Additionally, he is the author of “The History of Lynbrook,” which is available on Amazon.com and at local libraries.