WE NEED YOUR HELP — Support your hometown newspaper by making a donation.

Five men indicted for burglaries across Nassau County

Police say they are part of Chilean burglary ring

Posted

Updated March 10 at 4 p.m.

The Nassau County Police Department announced the indictment of five men from Chile for allegedly committing several burglaries across the county, including a home in Hewlett Harbor, in February and March.

At a March 6 news conference, Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder identified William Jesus Medel-Perez, 23, Amaro Valentino Rosas, 23, Juan Antonio Hernandez Rosas, 25, Bayron Felipe Cruz Palta, 26, and Fabian Lopez Catalan, 20, as the alleged burglars. Each are charged with burglary second-degree. Medel-Perez and Valentino Rosas were also charged with one count of attempted burglary second-degree.

Ryder said the defendants were arrested on March 5 in the Bronx. “Since January 1, residential burglaries in the county are up 75 percent from last year,” Ryder said. “That is due to this crew that has been hitting us. They obtained 90-day visas and all overstayed the 90 days.”

Homes in Sands Point, Great Neck, Locust Valley, Glen Cove and Hewlett Harbor were burglarized, Ryder said. The Hewlett Harbor home was burglarized on Feb. 20 as a safe filled with jewelry and family heirlooms was taken.

County Executive Laura Curran noted at the news conference that if residents are not going to be home, there are precautionary measures to take. “If you’re going away for an extended period of time, leave a light on in your home,” she said. “Tell a trusted neighbor you’re going away so they know to keep an eye on your home.”

The defendants were arraigned on March 6 and are due back in court on March 10 to be assigned attorneys.