V.S. firefighters put out shed caught aflame


A shed found at the rear of a house on Bayview Avenue was engulfed in flames on May 13, according to fire officials.

The Valley Stream Volunteer Fire Department was alerted of an unknown type of fire somewhere in the vicinity of William L. Buck elementary school on Horton Avenue in the early morning.

Assistant Chief Anthony Capone responded to the alert when he spotted a large column of smoke rising in the distance. Upon arrival at the house, Engine 343 quickly stretched a hose line to douse the fire. After the blaze was extinguished, Ladder 345 performed an overhaul of the area: searching for hidden fires or smoldering areas that may rekindle.

Firefighters operated for a half-hour under the command of First Assistant Chief Capone.