Home
Classifieds
Contests
Subscribe
Work with us
Clear,46°
Saturday, October 25, 2014
Fire News
Bellmore firefighters battle eatery blaze
Bill Kelly/Herald
Fire officials said the blaze started when metal sheeting overheated and caused interior walls and the ceiling to catch fire.

The interior of a popular restaurant by the bay caught fire recently, but officials said the Bellmore Fire Department was able to contain the blaze.

Vincent Scaduto, the department’s public information officer, said fire officials received a call from a local resident at about 7:30 a.m. on July 27 that smoke was spewing from Villa D’Aqua. Engine 602 was first to arrive at the restaurant, at 2565 Bellmore Ave.

The blaze broke out near the wall behind one of the ovens in the eatery’s kitchen. Scaduto said that flossing, or metal sheeting used to protect the wall, overheated and flames spread up to the ceiling.

Scaduto, however, said the damage was contained to that wall and part of the ceiling. Firefighters were able to keep the fire under control by extinguishing it from inside Villa D’Aqua after entering the restaurant through a side door. To ventilate the building, Scaduto said, firefighters cut a hole in the ceiling, which needs to be repaired.

Terms of Use | Advertising | Careers | Contact Us | Community Links © 2014 Richner Communications, Inc.