Girls between the ages of 10 and 16, who were attending a sports camp at Sacred Heart University, reportedly saw a man recording video of them while they took showers in their dormitory on July 31.
The man fled when the girls spotted him, according to reports, and then hid in their rooms and called for help.
At least one Rockville Centre girl claimed to be a victim of the incident, according to a report by News 12 Connecticut. The RVC woman who had identified herself as a mother of one of the girls did not respond to the Herald’s request for comment.
“Sacred Heart University is working with state and local authorities in an investigation of allegations involving the possible inappropriate videotaping of minors attending a camp run by US Sports Camps on University property,” the university said in a statement last week. “Steps have already been taken to remove the individual who was allegedly involved pending further investigation.”
The school has been hosting camps of this kind for more than two decades. “The safety of our community members —including summer guests — is always our top priority,” the statement noted, “and we take allegations of this kind extremely seriously.”
According to Av Harris, director of legislative affairs and public policy for the city of Bridgeport, no arrests had been made as of press time on Tuesday. The Bridgeport Police Youth Bureau has talked to victims and the suspect, he added.
“It is a very sensitive case and we are taking our time to make sure the investigation is done right,” Harris told the Herald in an email. “We do expect an arrest and charges to come soon.”