People of all ages visited the Malverne Public Library to take part in its 90th anniversary celebration on May 4. The event featured activities for children, a photo exhibit of the library over the years and a book sale.
The event, which was sponsored by the Malverne Friends of the Library, also featured a scavenger hunt along with crafts and prizes for children. The library received its charter from the state on April 18, 1929, but its history dates back a few years further. On Aug. 16, 1924, three women — Janet Drumm, Martha Ives and Marguerite Dressner — established a library at the village’s train station, just three years after the village was incorporated. It shared space with the post office and the real estate office of Lucian J. Bisbee, the first village clerk.
The library’s photo exhibit highlighted its growth, and how it came to be what it is today.