June 5, 2013 | 168 views
W.H. Ambulance responds to gas leak
18 sickened in supermarket incident
A West Hempstead ambulance and crew responded to a Franklin Square supermarket on Friday, after 18 people were taken to the Nassau County Medical Center, officials say.
According to police, Fourth Precinct police officers responded to the Best Yet Market at 696 Dogwood Avenue for the report of a foul odor in the building.
When officers arrived they discovered numerous persons suffering from headaches, dizziness and nausea. Franklin Square Fire Department responded to the scene and detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide inside the store. The Nassau County Police Department HazMat Unit and National Grid also responded to the scene.
Ambulances from Franklin Square, West Hempstead, Elmont, Hempstead, Lakeview, Rockville Center and Mineola Fire Departments assisted at scene. Eighteen persons were transported to an area hospital and twelve persons were treated at the scene.
The customers were transported to the medical center where they were treated for exposure to carbon dioxide, hospital officials said.
A National Grid spokeswoman said that crews were at the scene but that an investigation was ongoing and there was no additional information about the source of the problem.
Calls to the market for comment were not returned.