Ask the Lawyer

Real Estate Law


Q: I understand that Nassau County determines taxes in some part by lot size and structural square footage, but is there a standard calculation? I'm in the process of putting an addition on my house and want to know if there is a way I can approximate how much my taxes will go up by. Additionally, after the house is reassessed and the taxes undoubtedly go up, how quickly after can I grieve?

A: Properties are assessed as of each January 1st, called the tax status date. A building permit application will usually cause the assessor’s field team to visit and reassess the property. It is prudent to visit the assessor’s office with a copy of the building plans to get a preliminary estimate of the assessment increase. At the same time, ask for an application for the “Tax Exemption for Capital Improvement to Residential Property.” Nassau County assessments can be grieved each January - March 1st filing period. The grievance now would be for the future tax period of 2016/17.

Richard G. Fromewick is the Chair of Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C.’s Tax Certiorari and Condemnation practice located in Garden City, Long Island, N.Y. which centers on providing a full range of real estate tax assessment services.

For the past fifty years, the law firm of Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C. has created a reputation for integrity, insight and intellect that has helped establish the standard for excellence in the practice of law. With offices in Albany, Garden City, Manhattan and Washington, D.C., the firm provides legal advice in the areas of Alternative Dispute Resolution, Bankruptcy, Corporate Finance, Corporate, Criminal Defense, Disability Insurance Claims, Employee Benefits, Employment Law, Government Relations, Labor Law, Litigation, Real Estate, Tax Certiorari & Condemnation, Trusts, Wills and Estates. “Ask the Lawyer” is provided by Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C. to inform on matters of public interest. The information contained herein is not to be construed as legal advice or opinion. We provide such advice or opinion only after being engaged to do so with respect to particular facts and circumstances.